No Pets Allowed
- California Health and Safety Code § 114.259.5 prohibits pets within a certified farmers’ market.
- The Napa Farmers Market is considered a food facility, like grocery stores and restaurants.
Trained Service Animals are welcome
- Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) and Therapy Dogs are not ADA Service Animals.
- Fraudulently misrepresenting Service Animals is a misdemeanor per California Penal Code 365.7(a).
Please respect the needs of our customers who require trained Service Animals
- In addition to being a crime, misrepresenting pets contributes to discrimination of people with legitimate Service Animals.
According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA.gov):
- The ADA defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.
- Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability.
- Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, staff may ask two questions:
- Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
- What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?