03 May 2019
About the Napa Farmers Market
As a California Certified Farmers Market nonprofit organization, we are on a mission to support local farmers and provide a place for the community to purchase local, farm-fresh, sustainably grown produce, specialty foods and artisan goods directly from the source. We do this by hosting the Napa Farmers Market on Saturdays (year-round) and Tuesdays (April through September) in the South Napa Century Center (movie theater) parking lot, 195 Gasser Drive in Napa
- Job Title: Assistant Market Manager
- Reports To: Market Manager
- Hours: 30 hours/week April – September, 20 hours/week October – March
- Schedule: Required to be at the market Saturdays year-round and Tuesdays April – September
- Compensation: Depending on experience
- To apply: Send cover letter and resume to the Market Manager by Friday, May 10, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Summary: Assists the Market Manager to oversee all market operations, vendor relations, and market staff and volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Manages the general operation of the Napa Farmers Market by performing the following:
- Maintains good working relationships with each farmer, vendor, and non-profit, consumers, community members, groups and organizations, Gasser Foundation, South Napa Century Center tenants and, Napa City and County representatives
- Works with the Market Manager to promote the market
- Works with the Market Manager to ensures that all required licenses and permits are obtained and NFM is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations governing farmers markets
- Acts as the backup supervisor and if necessary, trains the market staff and volunteers and recruits new staff and volunteers
- Enforces market rules
- Maintains the daily records and reports required by NFM including markets log of vendor attendance and any other noteworthy events
- Arrives at market by 6:30 a.m. to coordinate set-up and ensure staff is onsite at market until all vendors have left (no more than 1 hour after market closing at 12:30 p.m. except on rare occasions)
- Manages the set up and break down of the Green Market Booth
- Ensures safety and cleanliness of the site before, during and at the conclusion of each market
- Oversees collection of stall fees from vendors
- Maintains accurate records of payment and prepares bank deposits
- Supports payroll preparation
- Other management duties as assigned by the Market Manager
Manages vendor relationships by performing the following:
- Works with the Market Manager to update and prepare vendor applications and the Market Rules and Regulations
- Works with the Market Manager to determines eligibility of those wanting to sell at the market
- Works with the Market Manager to assigns stalls to vendors and non-profits. Assists vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate
- Supports the maintence of an updated Vendor Calendar in Market Wurks
- Maintains schedule of required vendor documents in Market Wurks
- Works with the Market Manager to ensure market stalls are utilized to the extent possible and replaces vendors that cancel
- Works with the Market Manager to ensures market vendors are well balanced by products offered, to the extent possible, 50% Farmers / 30% Specialty Foods / 20% Artisans
- Ensures vendors are in compliance with safety and regulatory requirements
- Other vendor relations duties as assigned by the Market Manager
Oversees market compliance by performing the following:
- Ensures that all vendors use approved scales and have obtained all required state and/or local permits, licenses and registrations
- Ensures products offered by vendors are in compliance with state and local requirements for a farmers market.
- Places Certified Producer signs at the beginning and end of the designated area
- Acts as a backup liaison with Napa County Environmental Health and Ag Commissioners Office
Oversees the market education function by performing the following:
- Oversees the Education Station set up, volunteers and breakdown
- Works with the Education Director to implement educational activities
- Arranges and oversees produce tastings
- Recruits volunteers for the Education Station
This position has access to confidential information such as vendor payment information and market employee files.
Acts as direct supervisor of 2-5 employees when delegated by the Market Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting the Market Manager in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Visionary Leadership – Inspires respect and trust.
- Leadership – Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Accepts feedback from others.
- Managing People – Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Provides regular performance feedback.
- Quality Management – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking – Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Motivation – Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Completes work in timely manner
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Asks for and offers help when needed
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/S) from four-year college or university
- Or two years related experience and/or training
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Market Manager, staff, vendors, community partners, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software.
- Ability to use spreadsheet and word processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Skills and Abilities
- Comfortable working in public and with the public in an outdoor setting in all weather conditions, including sun, heat, rain and cold.
- Experience working with computers and spreadsheet programs such as Excel, posting on social media, updating and editing websites.
- Able to learn and properly use market software.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, including sun, heat, wind and rain. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.