COVID-19 and the Napa Farmers Market
COVID-19 and the Napa Farmers Market
- Location: City of Napa parking lot at 1100 West Street in Downtown Napa.
- Customer Entrance: Corner of Pearl Street and Yajome Street
- Open: Saturday (year-round) and Tuesday (April – December), rain or shine
- Updated Hours: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- As a California Certified Farmers’ Market, we are classified as an essential food business and will remain open during the Napa County Shelter at Home Order.
- If the situation changes, we will post updates on our website and social media.
Face Coverings Required
- Based on the June 18 California Department of Public Health guidance, face coverings are required while waiting in line for and inside the Napa Farmers Market.
- Everyone age two years and older is required to wear a face covering or face shield.
- People with medical exemptions for a face mask are required to wear a face shield, no exceptions.
- People who cannot wear masks or face shields because of a medical exemption are invited to speak to one of our staff our volunteers at the entrance booth located at the corner of Pearl and Yajome.
- We will make reasonable accommodations to ADA requests, like having someone shop for them.
- This policy is based on guidance from the National Farmers Market Coalition Legal Toolkit on Face Mask Requirements and the American Disabilities Act.
What is changing at the market to make it safer?
The Napa Farmers Market follows guidance from Napa County Health Officer, Dr. Karen Relucio, in order to protect against the spread of COVID-19 at the market, including:
- Only farmers, specialty food (“to go” and grocery items) and limited artisan vendors will be permitted at the market.
- Everyone is required to wear a face mask or shield while in line for and inside the market.
- No eating or drinking in the market.
- Food sampling has been suspended.
- Seating areas, Story Time and live music have been suspended.
- Increased space between vendor booths.
- Limiting the number of customers in the market at one time to allow for enough space for social distancing.
- There is be one only market entrance (corner of Pearl and Yajome) and customers may need to wait in line to enter the market.
- Only one person per household should shop at the market.
- Staff and volunteers will enforce social distancing and customers not in compliance will be asked to leave.
What do I need to do as a customer?
- Stay home if you are sick, have a fever and or cough or are in a high risk group.
- Wear a face mask of shield when in line for and inside the market.
- Keep distance (6 feet) from others whenever possible.
- Make a shopping list, bring reusable bags (permitted at the market) and send one low-risk, healthy family member to shop.
- Use handsanitizer at the farmer’s stall before picking your produce.
- Wash hands frequently at the hand washing station or in the public bathrooms on West Street.
Why is the market staying open?
- Farmers’ markets are considered essential business services, like grocery stores, according to California Department of Public Health guidance.
- Farmers’ markets are also considered essential businesses during a “shelter in place” order, according to this Napa County Health Officer Directive.
- The Napa Farmers Market has permission to operate from the Napa County Environmental Health Department and Napa County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office.
- We will continue to monitor Health Orders from Napa County Health Public Health and modify or close operations as needed.
- Farmers’ markets are NOT considered mass gatherings and are exempt from Bay Area shelter-in-place orders.
What about CalFresh Market Match?
The Napa Farmers Market will continue to provide its food assistance activities:
- CalFresh customers can double their benefits using the Market Match program. Learn how.
- Fresh produce donations will be collected and delivered to the Napa Valley Food Bank by Napa Valley CanDo and Feed it Forward Napa Valley volunteers.
How can I stay up to date?
- Visit this landing page; we will continue to update it and keep you informed.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter mailing list for updates.
- Follow us on social media:
- Facebook: @napafarmersmarket
- Instagram: @napafarmersmkt
- Twitter: @napafarmersmkt